Luck denies club vital points in title race

The top two sides in division one met at Drayton where Bob Carter went into match top on shot difference but were without Gary Best. The first session on mat 1 saw Debbie Sparham, Simon Warnes and Jack Pye lose to John Turner, Jason Woods and David Lamb 8-14. For most of the match the Wymondham triple were on the back foot having only won one of the first six ends to trail 3-7 but had got themselves within touching distance at 7-9 with three ends to go but a dropped three and brace ended their hopes of getting anything. On mat 2 Jon Sparham, John Jeffery and Chris Mann lost 14-15 to Nigel Wilard, Jamie Forster and Melly Woods. A slow start was made by both triples but Wymondham took the initaitve to lead 9-6 after six ends. The carter triple failed to get stranghold of the match and trailed 14-10 with just two ends remaining. An attacking wood by Melly on the fourtenth end somehow produced three shots from a strong Wymondham head then the last end produced some nervy bowls with no Carter woods actually on the mat when the skips came to bowl. Melly had managed to get two shots but with at least two foot to draw near the back of the mat Chris' bowl agonisingly broke the line with the bowl failing to rest inside and gave Carter the win which had looked very unlikely. 

The second session saw the triples unchanged as Jack Pye beat Melly Woods 16-13. A much brighter game from Debbie, Simon and Jack saw them lead 10-4 after seven ends but Carter hit back with a 3,1,3 to lead 10-11. The reply from Wymondham saw them take the lead once again as a 2,2,1 gave them a 15-11 lead with two ends remaining. The last end yet again looked like Carter might get something out of the match but Simon came in after Jamie's fourth bowl had given Wymondham a way in to get shot wood which effectively gave them a much deserved win. On mat 2 Chris Mann lost to David Lamb 14-17. It was another familiar story on the night with Jon, John and Chris playing well enough to have salvaged something but again came away with nothing. Trailing 1-6 after five ends Jon went to two which had improved the triples play and saw them turn the match around leading 14-11 after winning five of the last seven ends by 13-5. But yet again the closing stages of the match proved to be the undoing of the triple after David Lamb had played some brilliant draws to the line throughout the match, his performance stood out. After dropping a single and brace the match was level at 14-14 going into the last end. With positive woods being sent down the jack was eventually picked up by Jason Woods but was not killed. Facing three down and the jack only millimeters from being dead there was little hope of geting shot and eventually Carter won 14-17. 

It's not the result the club deserved on the night and will now have to look at the return match at home to make amends later in the month.