Captain's judgement pays off to reach cup final

Captain Mark Linsdell's decision to bring in Neil Davidson after recovering from a knee problem reaped rewards as his performance at lead guided his triple to two big wins on the night at Bob Carter. Having played for the club last summer Davidson had yet to feature for the club this summer but his arrival was a welcome boost at a crucial time to stop Bob Carter claiming what was looking to be a summer double with the league and cup. The first session saw M. Linsdell, D. Sparham and J. Pye lose 7-21 to J. Woods, D. Lamb and G. Best. The Wymondham triple struggled for most of the match to get into any real rhythm and this was mainly due to Gary Best's performance at skip for Carter who was in irresistible form throughout. Six shots picked up by his triple on end eight saw them lead 2-16 but Mark, Deb and Jack still kept their positions untill end ten as the fourteen shot deficit stayed that way for what was a bruising encounter. Mat 2 saw N. Davidson, J. Sparham and C. Mann beat N. Willard, S. Willies and M. Woods 18-4. The opening exchanges saw Carter build pressure which Chris dealt with but soon after Neil and Jon started to dominate as they opened up a 6-2 lead after six ends. The Wymondham trio reduced Carter to only scoring singles over four ends as the last five ends saw them pick up a 1,4,2,1,3 to level the shots for the first half at 25-25. 

Second session saw D. Sparham, M. Linsdell and J. Pye beat J. Turner, S. Willies and M. Woods 16-12. The Carter triple started the brighter to pick up four shots on the first end and further shots of three and four picked up on ends six and nine gave them a 6-12 lead. Deb, Mark and Jack had played better this match with Deb now leading but it was only the closing ends where their play and pressure had payed off. A 3,1,1,2,2,1 over the last six ends propelled them to a relieved 16-12 win. On mat 2 N. Davidson, J. Sparham and C. Mann beat J. Woods, D. Lamb and G. Best 22-11. This was an even better performance from the Wymondham triple as a slow start again saw the triple dominate in the later stages of th match. Two poor shots by Mann on end two saw three shots dropped but from there all players contributed. End six saw the breakthrough with six shots scored helped by Jon taking the jack into the ditch. A further 2,2,1,5,1 saw the triple outplay their opponents with Gary starved of support who struggled to get his triple out of trouble. A dropped five on end fourteen was no major issue as the match was won by then. The club will now face either Kirby Bedon or Thorpe Marriot in the final.